This statement describes the access, procedures and facilities at MapleLeaf Middlewick Holiday Cottages, as they might apply to, and for the benefit of persons with disabilities.
We would wish your stay with us to be as comfortable as possible, so please do not hesitate to ask if you have any concerns about access or there is anything that would make your stay more enjoyable.
The cottages date from the 16thCentury and have many original features and therefore although every effort has been made to make Middlewick as accessible to as many people as possible this will be difficult for people who are wheelchair bound or with other severe mobility disabilities.
- B&B breakfast is partially self service and access to the dining area is down 3 stone steps and up one more to the dining room. Breakfast baskets are delivered to the cottage.
- Mobile phone coverage is patchy – O2 offers the best coverage.
- Public transport is limited – nearest mainline railway station is Castle Cary (12 miles) – to London Paddington.
- The closest bus stop is 0.9 miles, outside West Mendip Hospital, Old Wells Road, Glastonbury.
- The nearest airport is Bristol (22miles).
Emergency Action Information
- Smoke detectors are fitted in all cottages.
- Emergency information can be communicated verbally if required.
- The car park is laid to gravel which is uneven in places. This area is fairly well lit at night time via motion sensor.
- Access to the reception/office is via a gravelled area and down two brick steps.
- Access to the cottages is via gravel paths and some rather uneven stone paths. This is not wheelchair friendly.
- Due to the age of the complex some of the paths can become slippery when wet.
- Due to the age and many original features, access to the cottages and their bedrooms is via some narrow doors and stairways.
Hearing Impairment – accessibility for people with hearing impairment
- There is a TV and VHS/DVD player in all the cottages.
- Guests are always shown to their cottages and everything about the cottage and complex is explained at that time – this information is also available in a folder in each cottage as well as in the welcome letter.
Sight impairment – accessibility for people with sight impairment
- Guests are always shown to their cottages and everything about the cottage and complex explained – this is also available in a folder in each cottage and can be relayed to guests as required.
Swimming Pool Access
- The pool is accessed via a narrow entrance porch laid to tiles with a small step to get into the porch.
- There are bars on the steps into the pool for ease of access.
If you require informtation about individual cottages, please contact us.