Around the big day itself it can be great to take some time out of eating, drinking and watching Christmas specials on the telly and get out and about during the time off from work and school. There is plenty to do in Somerset to get you off the sofa and top up your fresh air, culture and education or fun levels this holiday.
Here are our Middlewick Top 10 things to do:
- Wells Christmas Market Open from 20th to 23rd December with over 100 stalls of local traders offering gift ideas, food and drink. Santa himself will be there to welcome you to Wells.
- Glastonbury Abbey is hosting Christmas events during December with story telling, Christmas crafts and Santa and his reindeer.
- A Very Victorian Christmas at Tyntesfield House a magical experience of Christmasses past at the house which is open every day except Christmas Day and has an array of things to do.
- A Lantern of Light at Montacute House as darkness falls watch in wonder as the house and gardens are lit up in the night.
- A Winter Wonderland at Wookey Hole There is so much to do at Wookey Hole and being underground means it doesn’t matter if it’s cold outside.
- Visit Cheddar Gorge and Cheddar village. Did you know that Cheddar has a year-round Christmas shop?
- Longleat – perfect for a day out at any time of year and interesting to see the animals different behaviour in colder weather. There is also a big programme of festive events happening over the holidays.
- Woo-woo all aboard! it’s not the Polar Express but the West Somerset Railway with fantastic Christmas specials including the Carol Train, the Santa Express and the mince pie and sherry train.
- The Bishops Palace, Wells – with Christmas lights and decorations, special events every weekend and all the halls decked with festive finery.
- Chalice Well. A magical and spiritual place to visit at any time of year, you can find your inner peace for free on 25th and 26th December with free entry, or check out the other events happening around the solstice at this amazing place.